I am a quilter, fiber artist, designer, author and teacher. I have won many awards for my quilts and have been featured as a solo artist. My quilts have also been published in numerous quilting magazines.
I was introduced to sewing by my mother, and I have been sewing and quilting for over 30 years. I started as a traditional quilter but my interests have changed over the years and now I use a variety of techniques in my work and create my own designs.
In 2000, I started my own business providing Longarm Machine Quilting services. My business grew quickly and I soon recognized that my customers appreciated my ability to provide guidance in choosing their quilting designs. Having the opportunity to work for quilters who have a wide variety of interests and styles has helped to stretch my imagination. I enjoy the challenge to be creative for each quilt regardless of the style or pattern. This was the beginning of my quilting approach “I work for the quilt.” The most important part of my job is to marry the quilting to the personality of the quilt.
In 2006 I again undertook a new business. Despite living 300 miles apart, my sister, Mary Hoover, and I began designing quilts together. This collaboration quickly became a partnership, which has grown into the pattern and design company, Fourth & Sixth Designs. In 2008, C&T Publishing released our first book, StrataVarious Quilts, and in 2012 published my second book, Listen to Your Quilt. Please see Fourth and Sixth Designs for information on our patterns.
One of the greatest rewards of my work has been the opportunity to lecture and teach about both longarm quilting and Strata designs. Inspiring others and giving them the tools to move forward on their creative journey is my goal as a teacher.
Publications & Teaching Engagements
- 2014 | Instructor, MQX Quilt Festival, New Hampshire
- 2013 | Instructor, MQX Quilt Festival, New Hampshire
- 2012 | Magnolia – 2nd Place, Innovative, PA National Quilt Extravaganza, Oaks, PA
- 2011 | Peony – Juried, Quilt Odyssey, Hershey, PA
- 2011 | Peony – Juried, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX
- 2011 | Winter Blooms – 2nd Place International Quilt Association’s Judged Show, CelebrateSpring 2011, Cincinnatti, OH
- 2011 | Featured Artist – Jenkins Arboretum, Wayne, PA
- 2009 | The Sampler – Best Machine Workmanship, Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza
- 2007 | Red – Second Place (Wall quilt), Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival
- 2007 | Featured Artist – Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival
- 2007 | Featured Artist – The Quilter’s Fest of New Jersey
- 2007 | Featured Artist – Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, The Quilter’s Fest of New Jersey
- 2006 | Imperial Gloriosa – Third Place (Longarm Quilting), Quilt Odyssey
- 2006 | Zero – Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival
- 2006 | Caribbean Nights – published, For the Love of Quilting
- 2006 | Kyles Rainbow – published, AQS Engagement Calender
- 2006 | Epic – American Quilter’s Society Show
- 2006 | Imperial Gloriosa – American Quilter’s Society Show
- 2006 | September – Teachers Choice Award, Machine Quilters Showcase
- 2006 | Asian Expressions (quilt by Gail Kessler) – McCalls Quilting, October Issue
- 2005 | Autumn Breeze – Third Place, Quilt Odyssey
- 2005 | September – Best Pictorial by Machine, Quilt Odyssey
- 2005 | Kyles Rainbow – Quilter’s Heritage Celebration
- 2005 | Japanese Lanterns (quilt by Lisa O’Neill) – Fabric Trends, Spring
- 2004 | Rainbow Reef (quilt by Mary Hoover), McCalls Quick Quilts
- 2003 | The Sun and Moon – Third Place (First time entry), American Quilter’s Society Show
- 2002 | The Sun and Moon – Best Use of Color, Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza
- 2002 | The Sun and Moon – Third Place, Quilter’s Heritage Celebration